Alpinestars Tech 7 Boot Review
The Alpinestars Tech 7 boots have been a top choice for dual-sport and enduro riders since their introduction. Alpinestars has been paying attention to their customers, as they have addressed every issue I’ve ever experienced with this boot. I wore Tech 7s from 2009–2012 as my primary adventure boot. Subsequently, Alpinestars has expanded and redesigned the Tech 7 series to incorporate the latest in protection innovation and comfort.
The Tech 7 comes in three different versions, the Tech 7 MX, Supermoto and Enduro. All received a complete over- haul from previous generations, with significant improve- ments. The boot in this test is the Tech 7 Enduro, which only varies from the standard MX-based Tech 7 by a sole with lugs better suited for muddy trails and walking, fewer color choices, and an added $20 in price.
The new Tech 7 Enduro boot is a CE-certified off-road boot offering top-shelf protection for the rider. The boot is constructed with a one-piece injected dual-compound foot shell with co-injected hard toe protector and an integrated steel shank. This construction process gives the boot a narrow streamlined look while still leaving room for the toes on my “D” width foot to wiggle around.
New to the Tech 7 Enduro is what Alpinestars calls a “biomechanical pivot.” What that means for riders is greater ankle flexibility while retaining support and a drastically reduced break-in time. This design also increases mobility for shifting, braking, and walking around. The new pivot reduces stress on the stitching that holds the ankle plates to the main boot, a known failure point in the older Tech 7s and Tech 3s.
Also new to the Tech 7s is the dual-compound, removable anatomic foot bed and reinforced heel. But my favorite improvement is the buckle system that has quickly become my new standard in comparing boots. It is the easiest buckle system I’ve ever used on a boot, and is even more precise than the buckle system on my SIDI Crossfires, which is setting a really high bar. It’s really good to know that the high quality aluminum buckles are replaceable. My personal experience with Alpinestars and their warranty has been a good one as they have always stood behind their products.
- Upper material is reinforced for high levels of water resistance
- Replaceable sole and foot peg inserts
- Wide entry aperture for convenience, allowing broad ranging calf fit adjustment and support
- New buckle system made with high-impact aluminum bridge closures, with memory settings and a quick release/locking system with self-aligning design
- TPU ankle protection system incorporating a biome- chanical link between the middle and bottom sections of the boot, helping prevent damage to the leg by providing progressive force relief for torsional forces
- Protection for heel and Achilles tendon, helping to prevent hyper flexion
- Redesigned instep and Achilles accordion flex zones construction for comfort, control and support
- Internal 3D lining includes anti-slide microfiber suede on the heel to help keep foot in position